The latest update on Waylon.....we went to see the audiologist and the ENT and found out that he has lots of fluid in his ears which is affecting how his eardrums function which means...he can't hear!!! OK, well, he can hear, just not very well, apparently things to him sound muffled, or as Dr. Walker put it "he hears like his head's in a barrel." Whew! This was a little bit of weight off my shoulders. I hate the fact that we're just finding this out now and that he's not been able to hear clearly for who knows how long, but I am almost happy to know that there really is a physical problem that's fixable and I'm not crazy. For now, we are trying to treat this with an antibiotic and see if that clears the problem and if not we may be looking at putting tubes in. We're also concerned about his adenoids, and those may have to come out too....but I'm not borrowing any trouble worrying about that. We'll just deal with one thing at a time and trust God as we go! However, I have noticed in the last couple of weeks he has been trying a lot harder to say things, which is a huge improvement! The Early Steps lady finally finished his testing yesterday, he did better than last week, still not great, but definitely better. So we'll see where this takes us now.....more updates as they come!
Wednesday, January 28, 2009
Making sure his feet don't get wet even though there's not a cloud in the sky
My child has a mind of his own, no doubt. OK, let me start at the beginning. Wyatt went to stay with my mom yesterday afternoon so that we could get Waylon's testing finished with Early Steps without Wyatt interfering. So, when they got back to our house, mom suggested we take the boys to get something to eat. Now, I had woken up at noon after working the night before and could not go back to sleep. I did not feel like cooking, and certainly did not feel like putting on a whole face of makeup, so I thought we'd just take the boys up to Alachua to McDonald's (bad mom, I know...shut up.) We got them dressed (Wyatt in his "Mouse" shirt, as he calls it, which he LOVES) then instructed them to put their shoes on so we could leave. Waylon got his crocs on and Wyatt, well, Wyatt decided he wanted to wear water boots. I am not one to usually take my kids out in crazy get-ups, but I was too tired to fight that battle, and I'm all about kids expressing their independence, even though this bout of independence came out in water boots. I have to admit, he was kinda cute, and we did get lots of smiles and even a couple of people stopped by our table to compliment him on his outfit. He, of course, ate up the attention and had big grins to thank them!

Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I can't help but laugh at seeing Wyatt in his shorts and water boots. He is still a cutie even when he doesn't match. I can just picture him grinning from ear to ear as a way of thanking people for the compliments on his style of dressing. :)
ReplyDeleteThat WYATT is SO funny! You know he's going to want to wear those water boots everywhere now right?! Let him. They are darlin!
ReplyDeleteAs for Mr. Waylon, I talked to mom about it and she said that our pediatrician did not immediately catch that J had fluid in his ears...in fact he was about the same age as Waylon when they got it all figured out. All she could get was that he couldn't walk for some reason....Come to find out it was the fluid in his ears. So they put in tubes and mom said that very night J stood up on his own (without pulling up) and walked across the room (much to their delight). Also she said he had to have speech in elementary school b/c of having the fluid on his ears--he was unable to speak clearly...moral of the story, look how great he turned out! Your Way will be just as wonderful! I just know it.
Honey I was thrilled when Carrie told me the news about Waylon. Hopefully everything will clear up and he will be on his way to talking a mile a minute shortly. Your boys are adorable. I love the pic of Wyatt in his water boots. How cute is that?! I love reading the updates on the boys.
ReplyDeleteThis is absolutely precious! I love to see kids personalities come out in their clothes. Just be glad it wasn’t the John Deere tutu and princess and tiara that mine paraded through the shops in High Springs several weekends ago. As if the outfit was bad enough I had to talk her into putting on pants and a jacket with it … and actually find stuff to match. Have no fear though all my efforts (of trying to turn it in to a decent outfit) were out done by her accessorizing with the “Fairy Godmother” wand.
ReplyDeleteI am glad that you and finally getting some answers from all these test. I will continue to keep you guys in my prayers.
By the way it was very nice to see you at church the other day. Hope you guys make it back soon.
mom always kept water boots at the house for Austin and Bayley... Dustin hated them, but when they wanted to play outside they were the greatest. It didn't matter what they got into, you just hosed the boots off and were done!
ReplyDeleteGlad to know that things are getting figured out with Way... he's lucky to have a mom who is concerned!
Oh my gosh, I love the water boots! They are near and dear to my heart... Coopie had a pair, too (his were blue with cowboys on them) and he LOVED them, too! It's amazing to me that boys are just born BOYS! I love it!
ReplyDeleteAnd I am so thankful about the fluid (not that he has fluid on his ears), but that you finally have some kind of answer!)I have a cousin who's little boy was the same way, and as soon as they got it cleared up (he had to have tubes put in) he was talking lots more and much more clear!