Friday, January 16, 2009

Off to the big-top we go...minus the big-top

Last night I took my niece and nephew, Kaelyn & Tyler, to the circus. Now, before you get all excited...the "circus" took place inside the American Legion in Newberry. I had gotten free kids tickets a week or so ago and figured since Tyler & Kaelyn would be staying the night at my house that same day, we'd go to the circus to have something to do. I had determined it was too cold to take my sickly kids out, but had also warned Tyler & Kaelyn that this was probably not some big-top affair, and it would mostly likely, for lack of a better description, be pretty crappy. They were excited though, the ticket promised "Rocky the Boxing Kangaroo" and we figured that it would at least be worth that, right? Not so much (well, at least on the kangaroo's part). I do admit that the "Star Family" had some pretty talented acrobatics and balancing acts...one young girl amazed me by contorting herself and shooting a target with a bow and arrow with her feet (crazy...I'd hate to see her chiropractor bill) Other than that, there was a monkey on a leash, some trick dogs, and the infamous "Rocky the Boxing Kangaroo." Now, I've never seen a boxing kangaroo, so I don't have anything to compare this one too, but to be honest I was a little disappointed and a lot freaked out. This kangaroo (I think it might've been a wallaby) had on red silk boxing shorts and boxing gloves. It looked a little wild-eyed and something about it just didn't sit well with me. Needless to say that was not the highlight of the show. The absolute best part of the show was this little clown, he was about 3 years old and already quite the performer!! He was so adorable and made us laugh hysterically. I really wish I had some pictures to post with this, but my camera has been dysfunctional lately (maybe I shouldn't let my kids play with stuff like that.....oh well). Anyway, it was something to do and we did have a good time...so moral of the story, even if the circus seems like it wouldn't be so great, the sheer amusement is worth it!

3 comments:

  1. Cute post. I'd have loved to see the 3-year old clown. I love little kids with big personalities. The kangaroo sounded a little freaky, tho. I wish your boys could've went. Hope that they're feeling better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I l-o-v-e that you took the crew to the circus in Newberry. You're a brave woman!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, any animal, kangaroo or not, is a little diturbing!

    ReplyDelete