Sunday, February 1, 2009

Put my name in the Hall of Shame

I was "that mom" tonight. The mom that I always shake my head and say "that poor, poor baby...didn't their momma think to (fill in the blank)." We had been riding in the woods this afternoon (oh my goodness, I just realized I did it again....I'm that mom that doesn't make her kids ride in carseats, geez...call me Britney) and on the way back home, Jesse suggested that we just switch the boys over to my truck and we'd head to Chiefland to Pizza Hut then to Wal-Mart to pick up the things I inevitably forgot to get on my last grocery trip. (Keep in mind the woods are literally right across the street from my house, I DID NOT let my kids ride down the main roads while not in carseats, promise.) This would all be fine and good....BUT....my poor Wyatt. He was in play clothes, which consisted of jeans, a slightly oversized t-shirt and a fleece pullover that did not match said t-shirt, and his boots (just regular ones this time.) We figured it would be much easier to just switch from one vehicle to the next to avoid the drama that may have taken place if we had tried to do a wardrobe swap too. Now, you may think that this isn't so bad...but I'm not done. On the way to Chiefland, Wyatt kicked off his boots and fell asleep. At Pizza Hut, we didn't put his boots back on to go in, so he's in just his socks now. In the process of drinking his big boy drink, he proceeded to tip his cup up and spill fruit punch on his feet, which ultimately ended in the removal of the socks, how he missed his shirt and just got his socks is still a mystery.... Keep in mind now, it's probably about 27 degrees outside by this point in the evening (OK, maybe not that cold but you all know my tendency to exaggerate.) So, now picture we are walking into Wal-Mart, Jesse and I all bundled up in our jackets, we have one child with no shoes or socks on and another that refuses to wear a jacket and pushes the sleeves of his long sleeved shirt up. I could just hear the criticism in my head "Will you just look at that. Those poor, poor babies. That momma had the sense to bundle herself up but that one baby doesn't even have socks on, and the other isn't even wearing a jacket. What was she thinking?!?" Turn me over to DCF now. I'm hoping you all can get a mental picture of this because, no, I did not take a snapshot of this one. I have been shamed enough as is and do not need a visual reminder!! This now leads me to the lesson I learned...DO NOT JUDGE THE MOM WITH THE BAREFOOT CHILD IN THE MIDDLE OF WINTER!!!!! Fruit punch may have been involved. You just never know.

6 comments:

  1. Shame on you momma! That is SO funny. I am guilty, as I know you are, of looking at "those types" in Wal-Mart and thinking how nice...they've just purchased the biggest case of beer Wal-Mart must have to offer, but their baby is barefoot and dirty! Not to say that y'all were buying beer, or that Wyatt was barefoot AND dirty...just stained! (:

    ReplyDelete
  2. My momma always said: "You can't judge a book by it's cover" and "You never know what someone else's circumstances are!" I will surely think of you the next time I see one of these "irresponsible" mothers and laugh!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so funny Crystal. Just make sure he doesn't have Jiffy Store Feet. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this! We all need to be better about the judging thing for sure! I've had my own little eye opener lately, too. Annabelle's had the worst baby ance on her face. And I know that had I seen another baby with it, I would blame in on the sorry momma not taking the time to bathe the poor baby and keep it clean. Funny how things keep us humble! I know I'm going to try not to judge too hard next time I see a baby with bumps on it's face or one with no shoes on at the Wal-Mart!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I still think you are a good Momma. :) Just remember the words of Jesus in John 7:24 "Do not judge according to appearance, but judge with righteous judgment."

    ReplyDelete
  6. Would have loved to have seen that!!! You are too funny. You are a great mommie and don't ever let anyone ever let you feel like you are not, even when you have to be mean mommie.

    ReplyDelete