We woke up at 5:00am on Friday, finished getting everything together (or so I thought), got Waylon up, bathed with his antibacterial soap, dressed and out the door. It was a little chilly, so we dressed him in his jeans and boots, then took shorts and his crocs for the ride home so he'd be a bit more comfortable. He woke up in a great mood and was so good during the check in/pre-op process. They had a TV that we could move right down to his level, Imagination Movers was on and life was good....
Until the armband. He threw such a fit over that thing!! The nurse was like, "Oh my goodness! What's wrong?" When I explained Waylon's aversion to all things non-familiar, her response was "Well, we have to have some sort of identification on his person." OK, that's not such an unreasonable request, right? So, I slipped that sucker off when she wasn't looking and all was well once again....
Until the diaper change. I figured he should probably go back with a dry diaper, so I took off his pants and boots to change him, then thought I'd just leave him in t-shirt and diaper until it was time to change him into his gown. He didn't like that too much either, and let everyone know it. At one point one of the nurses (not our nurse) came over and asked what he was upset about. When I told her, she said "Put those pants and boots back on. We are not going to have that baby upset over pants and boots. We'll change him once he's asleep." That was a blessing and there was peace once again. Before I knew it, it was time for him to go. Tony (our other anesthesia guy) said "OK Crystal, are you ready? I'm gonna grab him and go." So I said "I guess so." and off they went. He didn't even cry as Tony took him off. Later on, afterward, Tony told me he had held Waylon until he fell asleep and that Waylon did great. We went out to the waiting room which held it's assortment of interesting folks, but I could fill another blog with those guys! It only took about 40 minutes until Dr. Walker came out and told us Waylon was fine and he did great. He said that his ears were really gunky and had a lot of pus in them (Jesse was livid) and that his adenoids were blocking 2/3 of his airway. (Nice, right?!? Anyone got any suggestions on a good pediatrician? I'm 99% sure we'll be looking for a new one.)
We got to go back to him before he was awake so that we could be there when he woke up. He was so sweet laying there for a few minutes and then he woke up. I figured it would be a gradual, groggy kind of wake up, but oh no, he came up swinging! Boy, was he mad!! He noticed his IV, the armband, the gown and the pulse oximeter on his toe all about the same time and he wanted no part of it all! Before we knew it, he had pulled his IV out, taken his armband off, pulled the pulse ox off his toe and had his gown off, screaming all the way! After all that, he calmed down a little, I know he was probably scared, and he started to behave himself a little more. We tried to get him dressed, and he let us put his t-shirt on. I got his crocs out, which he wanted to wear, and realized that when I grabbed them in semi-darkness before we left, I had mistakenly brought one of his and one of Wyatt's, both left feet. He obviously wasn't happy about that either, but once he got his shoe on, he wouldn't let us take it off. So we left the hospital in his t-shirt, diaper, and one croc. At this point, I was willing to do whatever made him happy.
We got home around noon-ish, and I thought it would be a snuggly afternoon...wrong. Those boys were WIRED!!!! I'm talking running around, crazy jumping, wired. I guess I preferred that to him being whiny and hurting, but you couldn't even tell he'd had anything done. It was great. I, on the other hand was SOOO tired from being up so early!! I had to take a nap, but Waylon opted out. As of now, he still acts like he feels fine, just a little stuffy, which the Dr. said is normal until some of the swelling goes down.
Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers while we went through this, it turned out much better than I could have hoped for!!

So glad to hear that he did so well. My thoughts were with you on Friday. It's great to hear that there are still people out there that can be understanding. As for your pediatrician I might be inclined to go with Jesse on that one. I know that they are not perfect but it seems as though you could see if a child's ears are pussy and infected and if there nasal passage was blocked by adnoids. I know my pediatrician could when I was young.
ReplyDeleteSarah Whitstruck at Trenton Medical Center is outstanding. We moved with her from Kid's Health team last spring and we have been pleased with the entire staff. She has 2 small children and is very understanding. I could sing her praises all day.
ReplyDeleteAt church, Waylon didn't look or act liked he had been through the mill on Friday. I know the LORD is going to show us a miracle in that little boy.
I'm glad it all worked out!
ReplyDeletePraise God! I am so thankful that Waylon did good during surgery. I can't wait to see him when he discovers new sounds (since he was unable to hear them clearly before). I love my little man and thank God that you found someone willing to invest in finding out why he could not hear. It is a blessing for me to be a part of Wayolon & Wyatt's life by being their babysitter. Thank you so much for including me in their everyday lives. Love you all!!!!
ReplyDeleteI'm so glad everything went so well on Friday. We prayed hard for y'all. I loved hearing all the usual squeals and shouts Waylon and Wyatt were making in the background when I called you Friday afternoon. Lets me know for sure that surgery didn't get Way down for long! I had to laugh over him throwing down over the boots and jeans! I love it.
ReplyDeleteHoly poo! Where have I been while all this is going on?! I haven't been on here in awhile apparently. Well, since I was unalbe to offer pre-op prayers, I'm offering my post-op prayers. Maybe now Way will be able to hear everything he's been missing and he'll all of a sudden start speaking really intellectual sentences like: "Hi there Mama, would you please prepare my morning milk." Good to hear all went well with the surgery though. Was that Tony from our floor that got to hold Way before he went off to la-la land? Well glad to hear all is going well. Miss ya and can't wait to see you in a couple weeks!
ReplyDelete