Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Slowly but surely

I am going to start brushing my kid. What the?!? I'm sure that's what you're thinking, but I like to lead off with a bit of a shocker then fill you in on the rest. I think it makes for more interesting reading. Ms. Becca came out today for her weekly visit and we went over the results of Way's testing from last week. He scored very low in speech (duh) and also in "personal responsibility", which means he can't talk right and he's not potty trained. This is fine with me, the boy will probably be in diapers till he's 6. Not a big surprise that he scored low in these 2 things! He did score average in everything else and at a 3 year old level with his gross motor skills...that kid can jump and climb stairs like nobody's business! Anyway, from how the testing went last week, I just knew for sure he'd score low in everything, but I was pleasantly surprised today! He is kind of borderline with his fine motor skills in the aspect of being aware of his body and placement, and being able to match and problem solve. For instance, when we set out different colored shapes and gave him matching ones to stack on top, he had no clue what to do with them, neither the matching part or the stacking part. This is definitely something we can work on though.

OK, back to the brushing. We will be taking a brush (the exact kind that we use at work to bathe our babies with) and brushing his arms, legs, and back to help him with his sensory issues. Hopefully he will tolerate this and it will be helpful with his aversion to tags, pants other than jeans, long sleeve shirts, sticky stuff, etc. She showed me how to do it today, I thought it felt pretty good, and I can only hope Way will work with us. She brushed his arms a little today and he just kind of pulled his arm back and laughed a little nervously like "what's this crazy lady doing to me." I was very proud of him today, he interacted well, he actually played with Ms. Becca and wasn't as clingy to me as usual, he said like 6 words while she was here, he ate gummy fruit snacks (this may not seem like a big deal, but it is for him, he's very funny about food textures too, doesn't like sticky, chewy, gummy stuff) I was SUPER proud!!! On a little side note, Wyatt counted up to 5 while she was here (one, do, fee, fo, fi) I honestly didn't know he could do that, I thought he could only go to 3 (like when I count one, two, if I get to three I'm gonna spank your hiney) so there were wonderful surprises all over the place!! Like I've said before, those guys never cease to amaze me!!

Please continue to pray for us, Way is really doing well, and I can definitely tell a difference in him in just these past few weeks, the effort he is going to. We go back to Dr. Walker, the ENT on Monday the 9th to see how his ears are doing and retest his hearing. Thank you all so much for all the prayers so far, I'm so blessed to have such a great group of friends and family!! Love you
all!!

3 comments:

  1. Yeah! I am so glad things went well for you. I hope that you have many more good visits...like today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh happy day! I know you must be thrilled, as we are for you and Waylon. That boy is getting it all figured out...in his time. I cannot wait to hear how the brushing goes. I'm betting little brother will want in on some of that grooming before it's over with (:

    By the way, I'm loving the new look of your blog. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are still in my thoughts and prayers. I can honestly say that I've never heard of brushing a child. But hey, whatever works, right? I am so proud of him for his improvements! That's really great, Crystal. I can't wait to hear how everything checks out with the ENT. Let us know!

    ReplyDelete