Tuesday, October 12, 2010

A Practice Jack

This Friday we’ll be loading up and heading out to the boys’ very first Pumpkin Party! 

I made the decision to try something different this year in regards to pumpkin carving.  I figure, since I’m taking the crazies by myself, and there’s 2 of them and 1 of me, my Elementary Algebra skills tell me I’m outnumbered.  I do not trust that we will be able to cut, scoop and carve in a timely manner.  I also think that my math skills compute that Me + 2 crazy boys + gunk of 2 pumpkins = not a good outcome. 

So….in order to find something a little cleaner and manageable, I went to Michaels and bought a couple of craft pumpkins.  The lady at the store told me I would need a “hot exacto” knife to carve them (which turns out is fancy schmancy lingo for “wood burning tool with a neat little carver attachment thingy.  Look it up.  I’m pretty sure it’s in Webster’s).  We finally found the said tool for $29.99.  My math skills computed that to $29.99 + 1 night of pumpkin carving = NO.  I bought an extra “practice pumpkin” for the sweet price of $3.99 and brought it home to work on.

Apparently *gasp* it is possible to use regular old pumpkin carving tools to cut on these things!!  Granted, it should have a warning label that says “DO NOT ATTEMPT TO BLOW SHAVINGS AWAY AS THEY MIGHT FLY BACK AND CAUSE TEMPORARY BLINDNESS IN RIGHT EYE!!”  Or something to that effect…not that it happened to me…ahem. 

It actually went pretty well, and quick too!!  And I’m excited that they won’t rot after a day in the heat.  Which means they may stay in service until March, knowing my kids.  They tend to get attached to things, like Waylon wanted to take a scented candle to school the other day…weird, I know…totally different story that I’m not getting into. 

(My only worry is that instead of good ol organic pumpkin gunk, we have some other foamish shavings flying that I’m praying isn’t some form of carcinogen in California.  But we’re in sunny FLA so it should be ok, right?!)

Here’s the finished product…

DSCN3164

Can’t wait for Friday!!

9 comments:

  1. Your "test" pumpkin turned out great! We'll see you Friday!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Crystal!
    Good job on the pumpkin!! Hope y'all have a good time at the pumpkin party!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE it! What a GREAT idea!!!! And perfect that 'ole Jack will last on through Christmas! Ha... We cant wait for Friday either! So excited to get everyone together!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So happy to know. I had been thinking about doing the same thing. Brandon isn't going either :(.... we might just need to carpool.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a beautiful pumpkin! Great idea, I might add. Hopefully the flying funk was not made in China...Ha ;) I just had to say that b/c it is sooo something my momma would say!!

    Can't wait for Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. very cute! and I'll confess I have NEVER NEVER carved a pumpkin and we'll have to help each other, cause I think I'll be there solo too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well I have to say Jack looks pretty darn good. You so need to tell me about Waylon and the candle. I can only imagine what happened there. (;

    ReplyDelete
  8. That pumpkin turned out wonderful girl. I can't wait to hear about Friday night! Hope you guys have a blast.

    ReplyDelete
  9. First of all, I am SO excited about meeting you Friday night!!! I'll be there solo with my boys too...not so sure how pumpkin carving will go for us. Two boys (2yrs old & 8 months old), lots of pumpkin goo, and only one mama doesn't seem like a promising situation. The craft pumpkin is a GREAT idea!

    ReplyDelete