Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Singing His Praises...the Tooth is Gone!!

I had mentioned a while back that Waylon was going to have to have a dental surgery to take out a baby tooth and an extra tooth that the Lord saw fit to bless us with...yesterday was the big day! 

I miss the days of Waylon being young enough to be the first kid on the surgery schedule; since he is ALMOST 5 (insert tears) his surgery wasn't scheduled until noon!  That meant we had to keep him away from food after 6am, and nothing to drink after 9am.  That was a feat for sure!!  We ended up going into town early so we could try to keep him distracted and his mind off of food & drink. 
Of course, I had to take one last picture of him with his "snag," (as we had taken to calling it lately...in a very loving manner, of course!)  No joke, that tooth has gotten caught on his t-shirt while getting dressed for school in the mornings, and it was also reported that it, well, "snagged" Mrs. Christy's arm as she reached across him one day at school!!  That thing had to go!!



What worried me the most about the surgery was that he was going to have to be sedated, and that if something went wrong, we were in a dentist office.  Not a hospital, a dentist office, which in my medically thinking mind meant he'd have to be transported across town if something went wrong.  Y'all.  I worried, and fretted and worried some more!  Finally (which I just should've done from the beginning) I had a little talk with Jesus, and every time I would start to feel worry & fear creeping in during the days leading up to the surgery, I would repeat one of my favorite verses, Philippians 4:6-7 which states, "Be anxious for nothing, but in everything, by prayer & petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.  And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus." By the day of the surgery, I had such a sense of peace.  I tried really hard to worry.  Seriously, my human head wanted to think of every "could go wrong" scenario, but I couldn't.  I wanted to.  I felt like I should.  But I couldn't.  It was truly peace that passed ALL understanding!  Granted, I did cry a smidge when they first gave him his "twilight" shot and he went from talking and laughing, to the "no one home" blank stare, but one word to the Lord and I was fine again.  I was completely and totally relaxed when they took him back to get started.  My sister Tania had come to sit with us while we waited, expecting the procedure to take an hour or more.  Imagine my surprise when Dr. Alissa came out 15 minutes later saying she was done!!  The baby tooth came out easily, and the extra tooth was right in line behind it and came right out!  She had given us a best case scenario and a worse case scenario which would've involved cutting into his gum, moving bone, and having to stitch him back together.  Praise the Lord, we ended up with the absolute best case scenario!  It couldn't have gone any better.  We had so many family members and friends praying for us, and we very, very much appreciate that!  God is so good!!

We had a pretty good afternoon, he was wild as ever, and is healing very well.  And I don't know about you, but I think he's got the cutest little gap toothed grin that this Momma has ever seen!


5 comments:

  1. Love it! So happy everything worked out great and I think his new smile is perfect!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE his new smile! So cute.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to know everything is okay. I saw your FB comment lastnight when i got home. Sorry I haven't been in touch, been swamped with VBS. None the less you, Jesse and Waylon have been in my thoughts. We need to get together and work on these swimming skills.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a cute grin! :)
    So glad all went well.

    ReplyDelete