I was really excited to hear that he's starting to interact more with the other kids. My poor boy has never really been around many kids his age, so while he's extremely comfortable with his teachers and other adults, and older kids, he's not been so eager to hang out with the kids in his class. I was so happy to hear that last Monday he participated with the other kids and did the "Bear Hunt" song. Apparently this song requires the kids to run around the room like crazies when they find the "bear." Well, his teacher said that he did so well that she decided to play the song again, and the 2nd time around him & another little boy ran smack into each other and Waylon won himself a black eye! When Mrs. Christy called to tell me, I think my reaction was like, "Oh my goodness!! He was participating and doing the motions and everything?!? Oh yeah, his eye will be ok, but really? He was really doing it?" She probably thinks I'm a nut now & that I don't care about my child's welfare. She seemed to be much more upset than I was, and all I could talk about was how proud I was of him! I think it was more traumatic for her since he was their first ever black eye.
They did some testing the first week of school to see where the kids were and what kinds of things they would need to work on throughout the year. Waylon did not score so good. Very, very low. But, I do think that he gets VERY easily distracted and that test probably wasn't very interesting to him. Anyway, his teacher said not to get too worked up yet, that he's already making progress and he'll continue to throughout the year. She assures us that the end of the year test will be drastically improved. The test did reveal though, that he may have some problems some of his fine motor skills and a little of his gross motor skills, so the next step is to get him screened for OT and PT. I'm not sure how I feel about this, but if he really needs the therapy, then I'm glad we're finding all this out now. I'm hoping that over the next 2 years, we can get him where he needs to be and ready to do well in kindergarten.
Overall, I am very happy with how well he's doing. I think that his teachers are doing an amazing job with him and I feel such a peace about the decisions we're making!! It's such an awesome feeling to see this boy open up and blossom in such a short period of time! I can't wait to see what the rest of the school year brings!

What a shiner! So glad that pre-k is going well and that you feel good about your decision... cant wait to hear all the progress your little man makes!!! :)
ReplyDeleteI am so proud of Waylon for adjusting to school so well, and in such a short amount of time. I think you are doing the right thing by having him screened for OT. If they have the same person doing OT as they did when I was working there, he will have a great therapist. She was great with the kids.
ReplyDeletePre-K is just full of hard knocks! Woo-wee. I would hate to see what the other kid looked like after that little run in. Waylon is so, so special Crystal. He is handsome, interesting and funny and most importantly he is just how God made him. I am so proud of him and all the progress he is making at TES.
ReplyDeleteI am so glad to hear that he's enjoying Pre-K, Crystal. I loved your reaction to his black eye, but I understand :) That was too funny, though. I'm glad that Waylon is improving, I can't wait to read about his other many adventures in Pre-K.
ReplyDelete